Day One: Travelling with seasoned international travelers

 Accolade: Chief Dr Jean Murray and Chris Murray

1. How we met 

I was working on building my network soon after completing my MHID* from the College of Medicine and Public Health at Flinders University. My cousin brother and his girls traveled from NSW to attend my graduation ceremony at the Adelaide Convention Center on the 12th December 2012. Since graduation, I did bits and pieces to start building my network for my 'grand vision' for PNG. After I returned from Alice Springs on a 3 month work placement as part of an Australian Prime Ministers Pacific Leadership Program award in August of 2013, I started doing some short term freelance tutorial work with the Gender Consortium of the Flinders University through the Director Cara Ellickson. Since then Cara engaged me more and more as freelance tutor to her students on topics of gender, public health and international development. 

Through this connection, I was attending a Gender Consortium symposium at Flinders University, Victoria Square in August of 2017. Freda Miriklis was the keynote speaker at that symposium. Cara as she always does, quickly got me connected with Freda. Freda was in charge of a charity funding that focused on building schools in low and middle income countries. Cara was optimistic as always that she would be the perfect connection for funding opportunities for my primary school in remote Pakura village of Hela Province which has been shut for 3 odd decades. Cara knew all about this project through all our gender and equality conversations over coffee catch up breaks. 

Soon I felt like I knew Freda before. Cara quickly pulled Dr Jean Murray over and introduced me to her. Freda and Dr Jean had worked together for many years, and served together on the Executive of BPW* International from 2008 to 2011. Dr Jean had introduced Cara to Freda at a BPW Australia Conference in Adelaide in 2011.  Cara had asked Dr Jean to invite Freda as keynote speaker for the Gender Consortium Symposium in 2017. Dr Jean was already aware of Freda’s involvement with the charity fund. It made perfect sense that Dr Jean should mentor me and be a liaison on the school project.

It wasnt until later I looked around and found myself surrounded by formidable, resourceful women leaders. Who played their game at the international scene. Who had a voice at the table. I felt small yet empowered. I felt the energy of the room. A kind of right spirit and substance. A formidable network was forged there and then. We were just ready to conquer. Cara was confident as always. She officially handed me to Dr Jean Murray and sealed the deal. Freda said yes to Cara. Dr Jean was to advise and mentor me. On the project 'Re-opening my school'. And the rest is history. 

2. Reopening the school project 

Soon after the symposium, and the months following, Dr Jean and I got talking about the school project. My first impression of her was one of positive yet very powerful and impact energy. I found her to be highly intelligent, articulate, very well structured and her presence commanded spontaneous respect. I had to be well prepared, have the right words and be very professional I thought. But knowing her personally became a life long discovery. A journey of cultivating the resources and substances of intelligence, experience, wisdom and knowledge packed in this one person. I grew more in awe of her than intimidation. I admired her. Of all that she had accomplished and was still doing. I was inspired. And privileged to be working with her. Everything had an answer with her. She was my go to, a cleft, a fortress. 

Not only that, I got to cultivate her as a person too. She was kind. And loving. And caring. And considerate. And selfless. And very resourceful. She show genuine interest in me and my unrealistic grand vision for PNG. She believed in me. She heard me. She poured out her time and her resource at no cost. I could not be in a better place. I felt I could do more with her on my side. I was empowered, unlimited.

We talked more. And consulted with people in the village. We put a plan of the school reopening project together. She gave me words, in fact she is good with words. We submitted the plan. There were several hiccups along the way. Despite all odds, our library and a 3D classroom were finally funded. We completed the building constructions at the end of 2018. The official inauguration was done in May 2019. Today we work to ship library resources. 

3. Earning a Chiefly title 

My people from Pakura village asked me how I was achieving the projects. I told them everything about the woman with whom I was working with. In 2020, Dr Jean was given the chiefly status by my village. Today we address her Chief Dr Jean Murray. A chief in my culture is like an antique that has no price tag. It used to be inherited through lineage. However, in recent years, character and impact for common good has earned this highest title. Productivity, goodness, grace, resourcefulness, courage, strength and leadership. It is the highest honor in real time and space. Dr Jean Murray has earned a chiefly title. She is Chief Dr Jean Murray and celebrated by my people as their chief, my own chief. Her name and her status will be a legacy for many generations to come among my people.  

4. Seasoned travelers 

Through my Chief I met her husband Chris Murray. Chris is very focused and effective. With his years of life experience, he seems to know everything and has an answer to every problem. The first time Chief Dr invited me to their home for one of our meetings, Chris took me downstairs, to his man cave. And he showed me his collections from PNG. He told me about his first ever flight to many parts of PNG direct from Adelaide. I do not think any one has ever done any risk taking like that since PNG is a very mountainous country to fly around like a uber ride. Chris is very adventurous himself like Chief Dr herself. They both have traveled the world many times over. I do not know any person who have been to many countries like these two. They have done Australia multiple times by car, boat and plane as much as they have done the world. They love diversity. They love nature. They love people. They love travel. I admire how they travel. They travel ordinary but place value on learning about diversity, color, culture, nature and the grandeur of this planet we live in. 

5. Relocating me 

In July 2022, I was working on logistics to make some relocation plans. In the process, I dropped my plans past Chief Dr to seek some advise and guidance as always. She had in no time shared it with her husband. I received a call in no time. They were ready to relocate me. Since then to the day I was relocated, they had it all planned, worked out and organised. There was only little for me to do. They knew the road, their car, the weather, food, parks, ranges, bumps. From every detail to the big things, everything about travel, camp, time and space they knew. Magic it was to me. I felt like a queen. Less stress to see people who know what they are doing with many years of experience. To be served with such magic, I felt guilty. But they took pleasure and satisfaction. I felt cared for and valued.

6. Dedication 

Chris Murray and my own Chief Dr,  you are irreplaceable to me. The world needs more of you and more like you. I owe my undying love and admiration. May you have long and healthy life so you can travel more and teach us all you have in store. 

Chris Murray & Chief Dr Jean Murray, dropping me off at 2pm, 4.8.22, in front of my new home, Yalata Country, Upper North Flinders Ranges, SA

*Master of Health and International Development 

* Business and Professional Women 


Comments