A 10-day blog for days 18-27 in Yalata Country or from 18-27.08.2022

1. Weekly blogging 

I have changed my daily blogging to weekly now that I have picked up on writing my thesis. I prefer to spend more of my free time on this so I can submit my thesis on time and graduate. I also have been taking less photos as I have been already to all the corners of the community. I will watch my forest take off and by then I will have lots to admire and boast. For now, I will update my blog on a weekly basis. 

2. My grounding 

This week I have been listening to Apostole Leroy Thompson, everyday except one day I missed out due to sleeping in. The take home themes include: what I am on the inside, fruitfulness, what I wear, reaching higher, living, secrets, and food. Now that I am reflecting on all these themes, I can clearly see that all of them kind of link to one thing, grounded life. And fit neatly as a puzzle. I learnt that to be a person of service is not a spiritual rocket science. It is about living the truth which is having a heart that has no ill towards any one else. Unselfish, kind, humble, giving, appreciating, cheerfulness, respect, simple, positive, consistent, connecting, one with nature and non-judgmental attitude. And most importantly do not buy into negativity, nepotism, and all that harsh energy.

3. Sunday Yarn

I went to church nice and early around 10:30am. It was very quite and there was no sign of anyone yet. But the doors were open and Ps Lindsay was sweeping the inside hall. I greeted him and asked to sweep. I swept the whole church hall, arranged the chairs and felt satisfied. After about an hour, people started turning up one by one. And then there was enough people for the church bell to go off. The service started as usual. I had more yarn with the ladies and especially Aunt Rita after the service. 

Aunt Rita is antique. She is timeless. She sat me down on the platform while she enjoyed her morning tea. And began to unpack her treasurers. She showed me her pride and joy over many years of work. From birds, to koalas to wombats to beeches to earrings. All carved, neatly painted, woven and decorated with artistic designs in all sizes and shapes. I could she her eyes lighting up as she unpacked each one and displayed them in front of me. I was in awe and admiration. This was very unique. Art and creativity have been the definition of life among the indigenous Australians for generations. It is just in their DNA. This just next level!

4. Funeral 

We had a funeral at the church in the middle of the week. It was a time of respect, sadness and celebration of one of the last standing elders of the community. She was well respected and it was clearly a well deserved send off. The small church hall filled up with family, friends, officials, workers and children. There was singing, crying and chatting. The day started raining from morning which settled the dust and refreshed the energy. It was a blessing, a reminder that she was here, with her people and her community even in her resting place. It was moving. 

5. Fire and Sue 

One of the highlights of the week has been Sue coming back from program leave. When I first saw her, I just fell in love with her energy. Getting to really know her more is another story. She has been doing remote nursing for half a century and still going strong. I decided to get a lift with her in the manual ambulance. We decided we would go on a drive tour. We did the scrubs, the community and onto her home. We had collected firewood along the way. We made fire. She did prawns and lamb chops over the glowing fire. I sat and embraced the beauty and power of the fire. It was heaven. I didnt make fire for 4 weeks since I have been here. I felt like I had come home.

But Sue is something else. She is full of ancient wisdom and knowledge. She is an awesome nurse. She is experienced and intelligent. She is fast as an emergency nurse. She is articulate. Yet she is very simple and full of life. I admire her. She was on call and got called in twice during over our fire dinner. But that was part of the fun filled afternoon.

6. Whale watching 

Wednesday the 24.8.22 is the day to remember in my history books. It was the first time in 4 weeks I got to get a lift out to the whale watching day in the Great Australian Bight. It was an awesome day with the community, tourists, school children, teachers and us. There was a public BBQ so we had a good feed before heading the tracks to watch these magnificent creatures. There were enormous ones, mothers with babies and elegant young ones. The whales are just a sight. They are happy and huge. Perfect, divine. I met a nurse, two researchers, several community members, two teachers. All having  a great time. On the way back I slept through the hour drive. I think I had too much BBQ. 

7. The dentist and the dental assistant 

They came for a week on their usual outreach programs. I connected with them and especially Roxy. She left a box of printed water bottles, and health education materials with me. We exchanged contacts and conversations are starting on how we can work together on health promotion in the community. 

8. Planning for Women's Health Week 

We got the women and girls together and established a plan for the upcoming Women's Health Week in September. There was consensus on loots of the ideas brought forward. My job to get the planning and resourcing underway. Most importantly I stressed the importance of giving the ownership back to the community. 

9. TV 

The huge Smart TV in my house was not working because the screen had a crack. I reported this and got replaced with a new one. I however couldnt operate the android network. My kind next door neighbor came and got it up and running. For the first time in 4 weeks, I watched the AFLW and Adelaide Crows defeated and Glenelg. 

10. Bread making 

Saturday relaxing day. First time to make bread.

11. My photo gallery

24.8.22 Capture this photo of a jumping whale
24.8.22 Whale Watch at the Great Australian Bight, Nullarbor Plains, SA
24.8.22 In case you got lost
24.8.22 Sissy didnt mind a selfie with me
24.8.22 I think that's a little smaller than what I saw

24.8.22 Also proud of this photo
23.8.22 Fire Party at Suzy's
23.8.22 omg mouthwatering
25.8.22 Chasing thou sunset
25.8.22 Different each night
23.8.22 Different again
26.8.22 Different again
16.8.22 Trees are a thing for me. She timeless
16.8.22 Different yet again
17.8.22 Different yet again
23.8.22 My attempt on the WHW poster
21.8.22 Sunday Slow Cook




Comments