My Personal Blog


Dedication 
This personal blog is dedicated to my four sons. My womb has been blessed with two absolutely beautiful boys. Khaka, first and Raki third in the photo above. Then nature has multiplied my two into four when I formally (in cultural terms) adopted two more absolutely beautiful boys. Pandawi, second and Timothy last in the photo. Convenience has fitted the puzzle perfect because I sit back and admire my four children as I place them by age in the above photo (photo courtesy myself). I also am inspired by the Psalm of David which I have decreed for my children (above). My purpose is not to convert anyone. Words are source of inspiration for me. As a single parent, words are my partner. Positive words of course. I remember sighting someone somewhere. That children do not belong to us. We only bring them into the world. My strength has been all the things I have learnt from my children. That is to parent most of all. I have found comfort through their innocence and resilience of my flaws, failures, faults, and fears. I am persuaded that my four sons are on their straight path to conquer the world in more than four ways. One day they will read this and accelerate in that one of my children may chose to also write! 

Pursuing my passion for writing 
I have always had this passion to write. But I have not pursued it in this way because I found myself to be carried away with cares all around me. Doing advocacy work for SoilChild (my vision to interrupt poverty in PNG), my doctorate research, my family, children, gardening, lazying and sometimes stressing unprecedented. 
At the dawn of this brand new year 2022, my passion fire for writing has grown stronger, or even sharper that I am unsettled. There is nothing to gain if that is how you see it. For me, my memory is a little dimmer these days. So I just wanted to write down the few things I have learnt over the years I have seen the world around me. Whether it be nature, trees, intellect, views, issues, disease, politics, etc. I want to write it in my own original way. I want to emerge into the scene as my own self. Through my selection of words. How I express something, anything, everything. Whether its poetic, novel, academic, story, experience, or just my own theory. I see there is no law against how and what I write. As long as I do no harm or hurt to anyone. It is your choice to be inspired, informed, instructed, educated or simply ignore. 

This Blog site
This personal blog is branded YUKULI KOLO. I inherited the name Yukuli at birth in the Yuna cultural ontology. My mother's older sister had given birth to three sons and I was the first granddaughter born after them for my chief maternal grand father Geima Ilu. Yukuli in the Yuna semiotic is the name given to the tropical cordyline. The cordyline is preserved in the Yuna cultural sphere as much as in other highlands cultures for use in cultural ceremonials and traditional regalia. Men use cordyline when dressed in their cultural regalia to wear behind their bottom. Gemia Ilu was symbolizing the significance of my cousins to have respect for the one granddaughter who was as precious as the cordyline which protected the boys when they did participate in cultural events. In the same way is the name Kolo. Kolo is a wild pandanus which is only found on my father's land Kialoro, which extends from the foothills of Randupi (my birthplace) up the Muller Ranges right through to the borders of the Strickland Gorge. Kolo has rock solid shell but the nut itself is tender and crunchy. In season, Kolo is a significant cultural commodity traded for pigs, dowry, cash and status. The Yuna often refer to me and my siblings as Kolo. It is our identity. 
All flaws, errors, kudos and praise are personal as I have no affiliation to any partner, personal or business, formal or informal. Feel free to visit my site: https://yukuli.blogspot.com/. As you will come to realize, it is very simple and basic. Partly because I do not have patience, while I am still catching up with the ever excelling technological age. 

I will forever be encouraged to write more if you find a minute or two to leave a brief comment. 

Welcome to my adventure... I am hoping you will enjoy reading! 

A typical 'Yukuli' cordyline species grown and used for cultural regalia in the Yuna ontology 

Comments

  1. Fantastic to read your stories about life in PNG and to also see your photos Shila! Thanks for sharing these insights with your readers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment